I’m a huge fan of Reuben sandwiches. It all started about 5 years ago where I had a very good one at a restaurant near my work and I started to looking for other good Reuben sandwiches.
Thanks to Redemption Unlimited ladies for mentioning that corned beef is $1.49 lb at Giant this week. I got a 5 lb brisket for under $8. That right there is the cost of 1 sandwich at a nice restaurant here in the NOVA area. I made this recipe for the brisket and then I made this recipe for cabbage, potatos and carrots. Wow! This is amazing. My husband wants another sandwich right now. I better go make it.
I updated my version a little bit.
- 1 5 lb corned beef brisket with spice packet (I had to cut it up in order to fit in the crockpot)
- 2 (12 fluid ounce) bottles beer
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup peppercorns
- 1 bulb garlic cloves, separated and peeled OR 3 teaspoons of jarred minced garlic
- Place the corned beef briskets into a large pot. Sprinkle in the spice packet. Pour in the beer, and fill the pot with enough water to cover the briskets by 1 inch. Add the bay leaves, peppercorns and garlic cloves. Cover, put on low for 8-10 hours.
- Carefully remove the meat from the pot, as it will be extremely tender. Set on a cutting board, and allow it to rest until it firms up a bit, about 10 minutes. Slice or shred to serve.
I’m thinking of taking the cooking liquid, and making french onion soup.