Grandma Ople’s Apple Pie
- *1 recipe for 9 inch double pie crust, or store bought or gluten free crust
- 8 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced You may not have enough room for all of the apples. I find 6-7 apples work best.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour or gluten free flour or corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar – you limit this sugar if you like
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- few dashes of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (yes, tablespoon) and reduced the water by 1 tablespoon
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. You can use gluten free flour or you can use a starch.
Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.